Today’s media shows us how identity theft and corporate espionage usually start right in the office.
- 29% of employees spy on co-workers looking for confidential company and/or personal data. (USA Today)
- Among the ten million cases of identity theft in 2003 workplace is the most common crime scene. (Kilpinger’s Personal Finance 2004)
- Companies are 15 times more likely to experience employee theft than customer theft. (ADP.com)
- Internal theft is the cause of failure of one third of all businesses. (LPT Security Consulting)
- 70% of information theft is committed by insiders such as temps, contract workers, disgruntled employees and people moving to other companies (BusinessWeek)